In the ever-evolving world of cannabis, the charm of old weed is often overlooked. Vintage wines, aged scotch, and aged cheese all have their esteemed places on the shelves of connoisseurs. So why not aged cannabis? Here’s a guide on the value of old weed and how to best preserve it for an enriching experience.
Understanding the Charm of Old Weed
Like a fine wine that becomes richer over time, cannabis has its own ageing process that can heighten its properties. Smoking weed that has been carefully aged can sometimes offer a smoother, more refined experience. However, the key is in careful preservation.
Why Consider Ageing Your Cannabis?
There are two compelling reasons to age weed:
- Changing Flavor and Aroma Profile: Over time, the terpene profile evolves, influencing the flavour and aroma of the weed. In specific scenarios, this shift can enhance the cannabis’s sensory qualities. For instance, if a strain’s primary terpenes transform over time, it might produce a more appealing essence. An example would be the evolution of a strain from a musky aroma (due to the dominance of myrcene) to a citrusy essence if limonene becomes the dominant terpene.
- Increased Cannabinol (CBN): As THC ages, it produces CBN, a minor cannabinoid prevalent in older cannabis. CBN is not as psychoactive as THC and presents potential therapeutic benefits. This includes anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, neuroprotectant effects, appetite stimulation, and potentially assisting with insomnia.
How to Know If Weed is Too Old
For those pondering the freshness of their stash, here are some indicators:
- Age: Look for harvest or sell-by dates.
- Appearance: Fresh cannabis should look vibrant. If it appears wilted or crumbly, it’s past its prime.
- Smell: A dissipating or mouldy smell is a red flag.
- Taste: A degraded taste or a harsh sensation indicates it’s past its best.
Proper Storage is Key
When discussing weed, UK enthusiasts often ask about the best ways to store their stash. Not just any container will do. The container you choose can significantly impact the longevity and quality of your weed.
- CBD Flowers & Hash: These products require airtight and dark containers to maintain potency and freshness. Sunlight, air, and excessive moisture are the main enemies.
- CBD Wax: This concentrate demands similar storage conditions. Avoid direct sunlight and ensure the container is airtight.
- CBD Hash and CBD Pre-rolls: Store them similarly to flowers, ensuring minimal exposure to air and light.
Maintaining the Right Humidity
It’s not just about the container; it’s also about the environment inside it. Humidity plays a crucial role in preserving the freshness and potency of your weed.
The Boveda Packs are revolutionary in this regard. These packs maintain your cannabis at the proper 62% humidity. They work by adding or removing humidity where necessary, ensuring your stash doesn’t get too dry or too moist.
Smoking the Aged Cannabis
Once you’ve successfully aged your cannabis, the next step is to enjoy it. Whether you’re a beginner or an enthusiast, knowing how to smoke weed is crucial. From selecting the right tools to understanding the nuances of each strain, the journey of smoking weed is one to be relished.
The world of smoking weed has its intricacies and nuances. Just like you wouldn’t throw a fine wine in any old cupboard, your weed, too, deserves the care and attention of proper storage. The reward? A smoother, richer, and more nuanced smoking experience that only well-aged cannabis can provide.