CBD Gummies are stronger and tastier in 2022 than ever before. When CBD (Cannabidiol) became legal in the UK in 2018, there were only a few CBD edibles available - but where they strong, tasty or effective?
We found that they didn’t meet the mark in the early days of CBD legalization, with bitter flavors, inconsistent dosages and questionable sources. Some even likened the CBD industry to the Wild West - likening early players to opportunistic cowboys who rushed to take peoples money.
CBD Gummies are now immensely popular in the UK. Six million people have tried CBD in the UK, with 1.3 million Brits using CBD products regularly. GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) affects up to 5% of the UK population, and in 2013, there were 8.2 million cases of anxiety in the UK. It is clear that we have a mental health crisis in our country, and that many people have found CBD to be part of their journey to a better life.
15.5 million people in England (34% of the population) have chronic pain, and 41.5% of people have self medicated without a doctor’s prescription. It comes as no surprise that people are looking for the strongest, most effective CBD products - especially as people become more cautious about the long term effects of traditional pain medicines such as opioids.
How To Take CBD Gummies?
Unlike CBD oils or CBD Flowers, CBD gummies are incredibly easy to take - they are delicious and can be a one bite solution to take a large dose of CBD. Furthermore, they can last six to eight hours - which is considerably longer than vaping which is typically the most popular way to ingest cannabis.
CBD gummies take 30 to 60 minutes to kick in, depending on your metabolic rate. Several things can affect the onset time. We’ll run through some main factors that affect how long it takes for an edible to kick in.
- Concentration of CBD: the higher the concentration of CBD, the faster you will feel the effects of CBD as more of the compound will enter your bloodstream.
- Your Metabolism: As with all foods, CBD edibles will pass through a system called First Pass Effect. Depending on how fast your metabolism operates, CBD could take effect quickly or slowly. A very rare phenomenon can cause some people to not get high from eating marijuana.
- Presence of Fat/Sugar: Cannabis is extremely fat-soluble, which means it requires a fat or sugar to be carried into the bloodstream. For this reason, CBD gummies and fat rich edibles are excellent ways to efficiently absorb all the CBD you ingest.
- Diet That Day: Following the importance of fat/sugar to carry cannabis into the bloodstream, if you consume CBD after a fat rich meal, the potency and speed of effects can also be increased.
- Quality of CBD Gummy: Not all gummies are equally effective. A study by the National Institute of Health showed that products were mislabeled with 26% containing less CBD than labeled and 43% containing more. It’s important to buy from reputable producers, who adhere to novel foods regulation, and hold GMP certificates. Before we formulate any products, we begin with these key principles to ensure we can uphold the best quality CBD products.
Dosing CBD Gummies
Knowing how to dose CBD gummies can be difficult when they taste so good. It’s best to plan your dose well in advance to avoid accidentally overdoing it, and also to keep a record of what works and what doesn’t. To begin with, it’s important to know how many mg of CBD are in each gummy. Typically, CBD gummies come in the following strengths; 10mg, 30mg & 40mg.
Regardless of what the directions might say on the CBD gummies you have, there is no standard dose to take. Each person has a different ECS (endocannabinoid system) which regulates how cannabinoids affect our endocannabinoid receptors.
Fortunately, the steps we take to establish a desirable dose are easy to follow and have been means tested since we first started making CBD edibles. Our guide to dosing CBD Gummies:
- Portion The Gummy: Depending on the strength of the gummy (40mg being high, 10mg being low) , portion the gummy into equal sized pieces with a sharp knife. We recommend cutting a 40mg gummy into 4 pieces so that you have 4 10mg portions.
- Take 10mg At A Time: CBD gummies take up to 60 minutes to take effect. We recommend consuming one 10mg portion, and waiting 60 minutes to see if the effects are desirable.
- Increase Or Decrease Dose: If 10mg proves to be enough - then this could be the perfect dose for you. If not, then try taking another 10mg portion after you’ve waited an hour since the first dose. If the initial 10mg dose was too strong, then wait until the next day and portion the gummy so that you can try increments of 5mg instead.
Can You Take Too Many CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are safe as long as they come from a reputable source as explained above. It is impossible to take a lethal dose of CBD. Open Access Government says that even in extremely large doses, CBD is likely to cause extreme drowsiness and lethargy but not death - interestingly many CBD consumers are seeking lethargy to assist with sleep problems.
CBD Gummies UK: The 5 Best CBD Gummies in 2022
These high strength CBD Neon hoops are incredibly easy to dose due to their symmetrical shape. They are as delicious as they get, formulated to perfection so that the taste of cannabis is not noticeable. They could easily be mistaken for any other tasty candy in the pantry, however these pack a punch like no other. An hour after taking an entire gummy, we find the effects to be profound - and advise that they are dosed with consideration given the high potential for relaxing effects.
These juicy Cola Bottles remind us of the old school candy shop that were the size of a finger. Whilst they’re not quite as easy as the neon hoops to divide into equal portions due to their shape, they are large which makes them easy to partition. Similarly, they are very potent, offering strong effects to our team within an hour and sustaining the effects of CBD for up to 6 hours each. They are extremely delicious and could easily pass for normal candy.
For those looking to reduce the strength but maintain the size of gummy, these neon worms are perfect. They still pack a punch, coming in at a strong 30mg CBD per worm, and taste very similar to the Neon Hoops we mention above. At 30mg CBD, we still feel strong effects an hour after eating an entire gummy, however they’re ever so slightly less relaxing and perhaps less likely to put us to sleep. Give us 2 CBD gummy worms though… and you might have to wake us up!
Our top choice for anyone looking for vegan CBD. These delicious little fruit flavored gummies are the perfect dose for anyone looking for lower strength dose options. They are about the size of a finger tip, making them small and suitable for such a low dose. If required, they can easily be cut into equal quadrants - we know some people are sensitive to the effects of CBD. Vegan candy options are a relatively new invention, and these do a wonderful job at tasting amazing and keeping the flavor of cannabis out of mind.
We’re big fans of these low dose cherry flavored CBD gummies made by the award winning brand, Bhang. Each gummy is conveniently shaped and sized for equal portioning, and the effects from a few of these have surprised us many times. They can pack a punch if taken in high doses, or act subtly if dosed as a single unit. We find the history of this brand fascinating, as their roots come from the dessert world - their founder is a world class chocolatier!
Now you have the tools to find the strongest and highest quality CBD gummies in the UK. We’ve highlighted the risks of falling for false claims, misinformed dosage directions and how to determine how much CBD you need to find the right CBD gummy for you. Ultimately, each reader has a different endocannabinoid system. This means that you will find optimal results by testing CBD on your body and feeling for when the dose is right. Take your time and start slow and low to ensure that you have the best experience possible. If you require any help after reading this article, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us!